I’ve been known to play Mom sometimes in the sense that I’m always prepared, whether it’s carrying an umbrella most everywhere I go or packing snacks for those late-in-the-day hunger pangs.
So yes, I’ll admit that I love to plan. And mapping out a healthy and satisfying breakfast for each morning is one of the most exciting parts of my daily to-do list. (If you can’t already tell, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day).
So when I came across Cooking Light‘s suggestions for breakfast meals on the go, I thought, genius! The food isn’t super fancy, but sometimes you need those simple options in front of you in order to actually do them. They’re really healthy, filling meals that’ll get your day started off on the right foot:
1. Single-serving bowls of whole-grain cereal are packed with vitamins and minerals.
2. Pair string cheese with whole wheat crackers.
3. Hard-boil several eggs to have on hand for busy mornings.
4. Small cartons of low-fat yogurt are a good combination of carbohydrates and protein.
5. Whole-grain English muffins can serve as a base for a breakfast sandwich. Spread on peanut butter, a source of satisfying protein and heart-healthy fats.
6. Make breakfast wraps with whole wheat tortillas; roll in lean protein, such as turkey and low-fat cheese, scrambled eggs with diced peppers and onions, or peanut butter and bananas.
7. Keep low-fat cheese slices on hand for breakfast sandwiches.
8. Single-serving cartons of low-fat, low-sodium cottage cheese are a good source of protein; stir in berries or fruit for fiber.
For more morning meal ideas, check out Cooking Light‘s full list.